Monday, October 21, 2013

Vegetarian Taco Burgers

Not too long ago I made taco burgers for the family.  This is one night I decided to partake of what they were eating (they don't choose to eat like I do...Yet). ;)  Needless to say I have been craving a taco burger ever since.  I knew I needed to come up with a healthy version if I was going to be eating them on a regular basis.  I had some ideas on how to create them, but seriously wasn't sure they would compare to the real thing or if they would be edible.  Well let me tell you...I had no reason to worry!  These babies are ever bit as good if not better than a traditional taco burger...seriously!!  I am so excited because I love them and I know they are healthy. 

Since I wasn't sure how they would turn out... I didn't take pics as I was making them, but will post what I have.
Click pictures to enlarge.
Here is a picture of the filling before adding condiments.  When simmering everything in the skillet...I tried to mash some of the beans and lentils with my spoon.  This makes the texture more like a traditional meat taco burger.  For my condiments I added shredded cheddar cheese, diced tomato, salsa and avocado.  A dollop of plain Greek yogurt would have been good as well.

Here is a close up of the filling

Because regular buns can tend to get soggy I decided to put mine on a toasted sandwich round.  I really liked the texture and crunch of the toasted round.

Vegetarian Taco Burgers - Serves 4

1 C. lentils, cooked until very tender
2 C. black beans
2 Tbsp. coconut oil or oil of choice
1 C. chopped onion
2 Tbsp. minced garlic
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. cumin
2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 C. water

Add as much black pepper, cayenne pepper, or jalapeno's as you like for heat.  My salsa I added for a topping was already warm so I didn't add any extra pepper.

I don't recommend cutting back on the oil as that helps to give the filling a more realistic texture of a traditional burger that has fat from the meat.  However, if you are counting calories or fat grams, you can, but I can't say how they will compare to the full fat version.

Cook lentils according to package directions.  Only I cooked mine about 4 or 5 minutes longer to ensure they were very tender.  You don't want crunchy lentils for this recipe.

In a skillet saute onion in oil.  When it starts to turn translucent add minced garlic and saute another 30 seconds to 1 minute.  Add cooked lentils and all remaining ingredients.  Bring to a simmer then turn heat to low and simmer for a good 15 minutes or until filling has thickened and is nice and hot.

Serve on your choice of bun and top with your favorite taco burger toppings.

Nutritional Information for the filling only.  Does not include bun or condiments.  Calculated using Great Value brand lentils.  If using sprouted green lentils add another 60 calories per serving.  

Nutritional Information per serving - for the filling only.

Calories - 299
Fat - 9 g
Saturated fat - 7 g
Protein - 18 g
Dietary Fiber - 19 g
Sugar - 4 g 
Carbs - 45 g
Sodium - 668 mg

The majority of fat in this recipe is from the coconut oil.  I will do a post soon on why coconut oil is super healthy even though it's mostly a saturated fat.


No comments:

Post a Comment