Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Flourless Blueberry Chia Pancakes

Who would have though you could create a pancake by combining a banana and an egg???  I don't know who came up with the idea, but I'm glad they did. :)  The fun part is deciding what "yummies" you want to add in.
To begin you need 1 very ripe banana and 1 whole egg.  Whip the egg and mash the banana with a fork and stir together.

I added 1 Tbsp. chia seeds and a scant 1/8 tsp. cinnamon.  Chia seeds are a great source of nutrition.  They are packed with protein, fiber and Omega-3's.

I also added about 3/4 C. fresh blueberries.  I've made mixed berry ones by adding diced strawberries in with the blueberries.  They were really good, too.

Heat a small amount of oil on a griddle and divide the batter into 3 small pancakes.  If you opt for 2 larger ones, know that it is hard to flip them without them falling apart.  I also flatten the batter out just a little with my fork.  If they are too thick the centers won't set before the outside gets too brown.  Cook on low to medium low until center is soft set then flip and cook a couple more minutes until that side is browned and center is to your liking.


 I like to eat them plain, but you can top with whatever you like.   This is a great and healthy way to use up those over ripe bananas and it's much quicker than making banana bread.  There are many other things you can add to come up with your favorite variation...coconut, flax or hemp seed, different spices, etc.  For a sweet snack you could toss in some dark chocolate chips...yum! 

1 comment:

  1. These look pretty good Lisa! I will have to give them a try. We always have a very ripe banana laying around. lol I have chia seeds too as well as flax seed and frozen fruit. It would be a great breakfast for me. Thanks! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete