Wednesday, May 28, 2014

A Fun Post on Food Blogging

Do you ever wonder what goes into creating a recipe for a food blog?  I never really thought much about it...until I started my own food blog.  I've had a paper crafting blog for years, so what could be different with a food blog???  Let's take a look...

With paper crafting...if you create a mess... you shut the door to your craft space and it will be there when you get back to it.  With recipe creation...you better like love to do dishes as you will have a lot of them! You also have to allow plenty of time to create the mess and get it cleaned up... as it's in the kitchen and can't be left like a paper mess.

You wouldn't think one simple shake recipe could create such a mess.  Maybe I'm just messy. ;)

Something else I never really considered... all the not quite right or completely failed attempts at a recipe?  With paper crafting you can put your mishaps up to try and salvage at a later time.  If that doesn't work you can simply throw them in the trash. :(  With food, it's not that easy.  If it's a completely failed creation you can throw it away, but that's very hard for me to do.  Food of any kind is costly, but real, whole, healthy food is even more costly and I can't stand to waste it.  You know what that means... I've had many recipes that I've had to choke down, I mean eat with a smile. ;)  If it is absolutely awful I will trash it, but in most cases I tell myself, it's full of healthy ingredients and it's not going to kill me to eat it.  I've had some pretty bitter smoothies.  LOL!

With all that said... I still love creating recipes and blogging.  It is just at a more leisurely pace than most food bloggers. I admire those that are in the kitchen everyday creating new and amazing recipes for the rest of us.  Maybe someday I will have more time to dedicate, but for now it's just a fun hobby.

Oh!  There is one more thing I didn't consider and it will probably make you laugh...

When trying to photograph a hot recipe such as this Philly Cheese Chicken Sub ( recipe HERE )...by the time I get a decent picture my hot meal is probably going to be cold. ;)  Maybe not for those that have been doing it for a while, but I'm no photographer and it seems to take many pictures to get one or two good ones.  Sometimes it even requires MORE dirty dishes... as I put it on one color plate and decide it blends in so I try another plate or dish that may or may not work.  Then there is a glare from the window so I have to move it to another part of the kitchen and so on.  Finally...it's time to eat and I realize I just spent the last 20 minutes trying to get a simple picture.  I told a friend of mine...that's why I like posting shakes and smoothies as they are already cold. ;)  Just kidding, but it did make her laugh.

Here is my latest creation that I've been tweaking and almost have the recipe ready to post...
A Greek yogurt shake that is both nutritious & delicious!
  

1 comment:

  1. I knew there was a lot of work in doing a food blog, but you have given me more full pictures than just what's in my mind. lol Yes, it is hard to photograph food!!! I feel your pain there and I feel your pain having to eat the cold food. But you are doing an excellent job Lisa and I hope you keep up the great work. Oh, and I hate throwing away food too!! Food is very expensive unless you are growing it yourself and even then you have to much sweat equity in it to just throw it in the can. By the way, that shake looks so yummy!!!!! Hugs, Brenda

    ReplyDelete